We are delighted that you are interested in leasing a home from us. In order to help you in making your decision, we have listed below the criteria for qualifying as a resident with us.
Homes become available to pre-lease when the current resident submits a written notice of intent to vacate. Homes that are vacant but have an application pending for rental or have an approved application on record will not be considered as available.
- Lease Holder(s) must be 18 years of age or older.
- All occupants 18 years of age or older will be required to complete an application and pass the Criminal and Rental Credit reports.
Renter’s Insurance Requirement
We recommend you to purchase and maintain personal liability insurance covering you, your occupants and guests, for personal injury and property damage you cause to third parties (including damage to our property), in a minimum policy coverage amount of $100,000.
For your protection, each applicant must provide a valid government-issued photo identification and allow it to be photocopied.
The occupancy standard is Two persons per bedroom. If the addition of a minor to the household, through birth, adoption, custody change, guardianship, or other circumstances causes the household to be over-occupied, the household may remain in the current unit through the end of their lease or 6 months, whichever is longer.
Generally pets are accepted.
Any breed deemed aggressive by management, state or local officials will not be accepted.
- All pets are subject to management written approval.
- Assistive / Service animals for the disabled are exempted from these restrictions but still require a written animal addendum be completed, all fees and deposits are waived. Assistive/Service animals must be maintained in a peaceful and orderly manner at all times.
There is a non refundable pet fee of $250 per pet. If you are doing a purchase option this money will be subtracted from the stated sales price when you purchase the home. Additionally, there is pet rent of $10 per pet per month. You are responsible for making sure your pet has all required shots and will submit documentation to landlord for review if requested.
Employment and Income Requirements/Verification.
Employment history must be reasonably verifiable
Income must be legal and verifiable. Examples of legal, verifiable income are: employment, self-employment, retirement, investment income, social security, disability, welfare, child or spousal support or any other legal, verifiable income.
- Total combined gross monthly income of all applicants must be THREE TIMES the amount of the monthly market rent.
- All applicants are required to have a minimum of ONE YEAR continuous employment history. If you have recently changed employers or relocated to the area the most recent employment history may be used.
- Applicants will be required to show proof of at least ONE consecutive months of legal income. Acceptable proof of income includes, but is not limited to, pay stubs or other verification from employer, previous year’s tax returns and bank statements, investment income statements, proof of receipt of retirement, social security, disability, welfare, child or spousal support or any other legal income.
- Student applicants attending college will be accepted as an alternative to being employed; therefore a student may obtain a qualified guarantor.
The only exception to this would be if the base salary were verifiable by other means and the applicant qualified with the base salary alone.
Rental / Mortgage History:
Rental / Mortgage History must be verifiable (rental history reports are obtained).
All addresses on Rental Application and Credit report are verified. Verifications are obtained in writing, with non-related independent third (3rd) party.
- The applicant(s) must have at least 12(TWELVE) month’s positive rental / mortgage history.
- Positive history includes timely payments, fulfillment of terms, and adherence to the lease agreement
- Poor rental history includes more than 2(TWO) late payments and/ or more than 1(ONE) eviction proceedings started or completed in a 12(TWELVE) month period
Any breach of lease agreement will be denied, unless documentation of proven negligence on the part of the Management and/or the Owner(s) of the property is provided. Breach of lease is defined as any monetary or non-monetary violation of the lease agreement and any evictions for rental/mortgage payments and/or damages.
Credit history reports are obtained
The entire credit history will be reviewed for all applicants (individual, married, and roommates). Must have acceptable credit history.
- Medical & student loan accounts are considered exempt.
It is our policy to request a criminal history report on all applicants.
Any applicant whose criminal history cannot be verified will be automatically declined.
- Within the past 5 years, must be free of felony charges; Within the past 5 years Must be free of Misdemeanor & unclassified charges related to: violence or drugs
- Any person convicted for crimes of a sexual nature, designated as a sexual predator/offender, or under consideration by any court for being declared a sexual predator/offender will not be accepted.
Applicants may be denied occupancy for the following reasons:
- Falsification of application by any applicant;
- Insufficient income;
- More than 1 Eviction proceedings started;
- Incomplete application by any applicant;
- Insufficient employment history;
- There is an automatic disqualification for evictions, broken leases and/or collections/debts to landlords that haven’t been satisfied.
Exception for Approval / Lease Guarantee
In the case of one of the following, you may qualify by having the lease guaranteed by a guarantor, by agreeing to the payment of prepaid rent and/or by paying an additional security deposit. (Additional Security Deposit is to be retained until move-out).
- If we are unable to verify information
- Have no established credit history
- You are a first time renter
- Credit Bureau Alerts & Flags
- If the eviction, broken lease and/or collections / debts to landlords is paid in full and you have positive rental history since, you may be considered after fully passing all other criteria. (Refer to Rental & Credit History).
- If you are marginal in any area of criteria with the exception of Criminal History
In the case of a paid or settled illegally broken lease or eviction, you may qualify by having the lease guaranteed by agreeing to paying an additional security deposit. (Additional Security Deposit is to be retained until move-out).
Guarantors – Guarantors must have a gross monthly income at least 4 (four) times the entire monthly market rent and must fully meet all other
qualifications as outlined above.
- The guarantor must complete and sign a lease guaranty agreement. Guarantors must be aware that they are guaranteeing the entire Lease agreement regardless of the number of persons listed on the lease agreement.
Fair housing policy. Henry Carter DBA Carter Rent To Own is absolutely committed to compliance with fair housing laws.
Carter Rent To Own does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, familial status, marital status, physical or mental handicap, disability, military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, sexual orientation, gender identity, source of income, age, gender, gender expression, genetic information, medical condition or any arbitrary basis.
This Resident Criteria is a guideline, which enables us to accept as prospective residents those individuals who are creditworthy and do not have a criminal background. This rental Criteria does not ensure that all individuals residing in or visiting our homes conform to these guidelines.
Our decisions are based on the information provided by any third party as part of the application and verification process at the time of application. We are not responsible for inaccurate information obtained.
I (we) understand that if I (we) do not meet the statement of rental qualifications my (our) application may be approved with a Lease Guarantee or denied. I (we) understand that if I (we) do not meet the statement of rental qualifications or if I (we) fail to answer any question or give false information, Carter Rent To Own may reject the application, retain all application fees, administrative fees, and any other prepaid amounts as liquidated damages for its time and expense and terminate my (our) right of occupancy.
Background checks may or may not include community and/or third-party contact with current and/or prior landlord(s), employer(s), credit reporting agencies, state and local law enforcement agencies, and personal references. Inquiries may include information regarding applicant’s character, general reputation, personal characteristics, mode of living, credit report and criminal background.
Upon application approval, holding fee and/or prepaid amounts is non-refundable.